This year in Pac-12 Volleyball
• Pac-12 Champion STANFORD led nine league teams earning NCAA Tournament bids, the Cardinal making its 21st all-time NCAA semifinal appearance. It marked the 12th-consecutive year the Pac-12 had at least six teams earn tournament berths. League teams went 8-1 in the first round this season, eventually advancing five teams to the round of 16, the 18th time at least three Pac-12 teams reached the regional semifinal round.
• Six Pac-12 teams appeared in the final AVCA poll, with the Cardinal spending the entire season in the top five and finishing at No. 4. USC ended up in the top 10 at No. 7 after starting the season unranked, while UTAH received its highest final rating at No. 11. UCLA (No. 14), WASHINGTON (No. 15) and COLORADO (No. 19).
• Stanford won its 17th all-time Pac-12 crown and first under head coach Kevin Hambly, who was in his first season on the Cardinal bench. Sophomore Kathryn Plummer took home several awards, garnering national player of the year honors by the AVCA and ESPNW. Plummer is the sixth Pac-12 student-athlete to earn the AVCA honor in the last eight years, and the first Cardinal since 2007. Plummer was also tabbed the Pac-12 Player of the Year one year after being voted Pac-12 Freshman of the Year and AVCA National Freshman of the Year. She is just the second player in league history, and first since 1989, to earn Conference freshman and player of the year honors in back-to-back seasons.
• Sophomore teammates Jenna Gray and Morgan Hentz were also voted the Pac-12 Setter and Libero of the Year, respectively. Joining the list of honorees were OREGON STATE’s Mark Barnard who was tabbed the Pac-12 Coach of the Year after a campaign the saw the Beavers accomplishments not seen in decades. OSU’s Kylee McLaughlin was picked the Pac-12 Freshman of the Year.
• 11 Pac-12 student-athletes were selected AVCA All-Americans with seven of those honored being sophomore or juniors on the first or second teams. Stanford was the most represented with five All-Americans. An additional received honorable mention status. Eight different teams were represented, in all.
• Joining Stanford among the top-16-seeded teams in the NCAA Tournament were No. 8-seeded UW, No. 10-seeded USC, No. 11-seeded Utah and No. 15-seeded UCLA. Colorado, OREGON, Oregon State and WASHINGTON STATE earned bids, as well.
• The Pac-12 has won a NCAA-record 15 of 37 NCAA titles awarded.
CONFERENCE STANDINGS (Expanded standings)
|Teams||Pac-12 Record||Overall Record|
2017 PAC-12 VOLLEYBALL PLAYERS OF THE WEEK
Oct. 3: Brittany Abercrombie, USC, ESPNW National Player of the Week
Oct. 10: Adora Anae, Utah, Sports Imports/AVCA Division I Women Player of the Week
Oct. 10: Adora Anae, Utah, ESPNW Player of the Week
Nov. 2: Kathryn Plummer, Stanford, ESPNW Player of the Week
Nov. 14: Khalia Lanier, USC, AVCA National Player of the Week
• The Pac-12 has captured seven of the last 17 NCAA crowns (2016 - Stanford, 2011 - UCLA, 2005 - Washington, 2004 - Stanford, 2003 - USC, 2002 - USC, 2001 - Stanford) and a record 15 NCAA titles overall.
• Pac-12 coaches have led NCAA Division I teams to 40 NCAA semifinal appearances and eight NCAA titles. In the last 16 years, seven different coaches have been named the ASICS/Volleyball Magazine Coach of the Year and/or the AVCA Coach of the Year.
• The Pac-12 has had 10 or more All-Americans selections in nine of the last 12 years. Eleven former Pac-12 players have earned All-America honors four times, while 20 players in all have earned All-American honors three times.
• Since 1990, Pac-12 players garnered AVCA Player of the Year honors 15 times, including the six of the last eight - CAL’s Carli Lloyd (2010), USC’s Alex Jupiter (2011), ORE’s Alaina Bergsma (2012), WASH’s Krista Vansant (2013), USC’s Samantha Bricio (2015) and the lastest honoree STAN’s Kathryn Plummer (2017). The NCAA Honda Sports Award honor has been bestowed upon a Pac-12 volleyball player 14 times, including Stanford’s Inky Ajanaku in 2016.
- Arizona Women's Volleyball
- Arizona State Women's Volleyball
- California Women's Volleyball
- Colorado Women's Volleyball
- Oregon Women's Volleyball
- Oregon State Women's Volleyball
- Stanford Women's Volleyball
- USC Women's Volleyball
- UCLA Women's Volleyball
- Utah Women's Volleyball
- Washington Women's Volleyball
- Washington State Women's Volleyball
- Arizona State
- Oregon State
- Washington State
- Women's Volleyball
- Pac-12 Conference